Just like happiness, sadness, anger, all of us have experienced loneliness at some point in time. But according to new studies, people are feeling lonelier than ever before.
According to a study from Cigna on loneliness, even though the number of people feeling lonely is on the rise, the numbers are almost identical amongst those who use social media and those who don’t.
The study revealed 5 traits amongst the people who do not feel lonely.
Interesting: Women are not Better at Multitasking
David M. Cordani, president and chief executive officer of Cigna said, “We’re seeing a lack of human connection, which ultimately leads to a lack of vitality – or a disconnect between mind and body. We must change this trend by reframing the conversation to be about ‘mental wellness’ and ‘vitality’ to speak to our mental-physical connection. When the mind and body are treated as one, we see powerful results.”
- The study found out that the people who engage consistently in meaningful in-person interactions are less lonely and have better health.
- Secondly, those who sleep just the right amount are less lonely in comparison to those who sleep less. Sleeping the right amount is important as it makes people feel they have companionship and someone they can turn to.
- When it comes to experiencing loneliness, spending time with family has a big role to play. Those who spend more time with their desired family experience less loneliness in comparison to those who spend less time with family.
- Similarly, those who work out and exercise are less likely to be lonely. It is important to exercises just the right amount to feel less lonely.
- To work just the right amount and have a meaningful and manageable work-life will ensure that you are less lonely in comparison to those who work less than desired.
Douglas Nemecek, M.D., chief medical officer for Behavioral Health at Cigna said, “These results clearly point to the benefits meaningful in-person connections can have on loneliness, including those in the workplace and the one that takes place in your doctor’s office as a part of the annual checkup. While one solution won’t stop this growing public health issue, we’ve started to make changes to our business to help our clients and others to tackle loneliness and realize their vitality.”
Media coordinator and junior editor at Research Snipers RS-NEWS, I studied mass communication and interested technology business, I have 3 years experience in the media industry.