Home » Business » Investing in a Property? Here Are the Different Types of Insurance Policies You Might Need

Investing in a Property? Here Are the Different Types of Insurance Policies You Might Need

Making your first investment in a property is an exciting phase in your life but you may also worry about it going wrong. Choosing the right type of insurance policy is one of the ways to give yourself greater peace of mind, so what do you need to know about this subject?

Apartment Buildings and Multi + single family rental Insurance

Standard homeowners’ insurance isn’t the ideal policy to protect a home that’s been rented out, since the risk assessment for a rental property is different from that of a home being occupied by its owner. If you decide to rent out the property you lived in up until now, it’s important that you let your insurance provider know so that the insurance policy can be upgraded accordingly.

This applies to all types of properties that are being rented out, whether it’s an apartment building, single-family rental, or multifamily property. Getting the right coverage for your investment property is one of the most important aspects of having a rental property business.

Unoccupied Property Insurance

What if you buy a property as an investment but don’t yet have a tenant ready to move into it? In this case, you’ll need to advise your insurance company that it’s unoccupied. In this case, the risks to the property as there’s less risk of accidental damage but fire or water damage could be more extensive if there’s no one there to check on it regularly. There are over 30,000 fires in vacant buildings in the US easy year, so it’s a serious issue.

If it’s only going to be unoccupied for a short period of time then you can probably get a standard landlord’s insurance policy with a clause that restricts the coverage during the period where it’s empty. This means that you don’t need to worry about changing your policy every time a tenant moves in or out.

Property Under Renovation Insurance

This type of coverage is recommended for undergoing renovation work and you want to protect yourself in case any of the materials get damaged or stolen. It gives you peace of mind if you’re looking to get a property ready for your first tenants or renovate it to increase its value to then flip it.

Check the different circumstances that are covered and then work out how much coverage you need, based on the property value and your renovation budget.

Short Term Rental Insurance

This type of insurance is typically used for vacation homes where people might only stay for a few days or a week before someone else comes along. The vacation rental industry in the US is worth billions of dollars each year, so this type of policy is an extremely useful type of coverage for many landlords.

All of these types of insurance are worth considering when you invest in a property. Like any type of insurance, they’re designed to give you peace of mind if something nasty happens that would otherwise cause you financial problems.

Alexia Hope

Alexia is the author at Research Snipers covering all technology news including Google, Apple, Android, Xiaomi, Huawei, Samsung News, and More.

Leave a Reply