Microsoft only put the new Surface Pro 8 into the race at the end of October – now the 2-1 device is getting its first firmware update. This brings a number of improvements, the update is recommended to all users.
The firmware and driver updates are now available to owners of the new Surface Pro 8. It is the first software update Microsoft has released since the new Surface series device went on sale. Accordingly, there is now a new support page with the update history for the Surface Pro 8.
Now Microsoft is rolling out the very first firmware update for the Surface Pro 8, which brings some improvements. Specifically, Microsoft is improving the performance of the fingerprint reader, the cooperation with external AMD graphics cards via Thunderbolt, and the haptic feedback of the new Surface Pen. There are also a number of general improvements in system stability, graphics performance, and the touchscreen. We have added the highlights from the release notes at the end of the article.
Updates that are available:
- Surface – firmware – 22.214.171.124
- Surface – firmware – 126.96.36.199
- Surface – firmware – 188.8.131.52
- Surface – firmware – 184.108.40.206
- Surface – firmware – 220.127.116.11
- Surface – firmware – 18.104.22.168
- Surface – Ext – 22.214.171.124
- Surface – USB – 126.96.36.199
- Surface – Ext – 188.8.131.52
- Surface System – 184.108.40.206
- Surface – Ext – 1.949.137.0
- Intel – Display – 220.127.116.1124
- Intel – Ext – 18.104.22.16824
It is interesting that this first update is basically released so late. As a rule, the group always publishes a first bug fix update shortly after the market launch of new devices within a few days. It didn’t seem necessary this time.
Updates received in November 2021
The following updates are available for Surface Pro 8 devices with Windows 10 October 2020 Update, version 20H2 or later. This update:
- Improves the reliability of the new Type Cover fingerprint login
- Improves graphics stability and performance.
- Improves system security
- Activates the new feel of the Surface Pen and improves ink performance
- Improves the support of the Thunderbolt AMD eGPU
- Improves the stability of the touch screen