Like Alder Lake, the CPU successor Raptor Lake will support both DDR5 and DDR4 RAM. Initial information on ASRock’s upcoming Z790 and H770 motherboards indicates that DDR4 support will also be used which has been retained.
ASRock motherboards for Raptor Lake also with DDR4
The usually well-informed website VideoCardz is a list with names of upcoming ASRock motherboards with new 700-series chipsets for Intel’s CPU-generation Raptor Lake aka Core 13000. At least four of the nine Z790 models mentioned have the abbreviation “D4” for DDR4 support. Of the three H770 models, only one is marked with DDR4 support. In total, DDR4 support is expected for five of the twelve models. With the currently available LGA1700 600 series motherboards for Alder Lake, the share of DDR4 is even higher at almost 60 percent.
- ASRock Z790 Taichi (ATX, DDR5)
- ASRock Z790 Pro RS/D4 (ATX, DDR4)
- ASRock Z790 PG Lightning (ATX, DDR5)
- ASRock Z790 PG Lightning/D4 (ATX, DDR4)
- ASRock Z790M PG Lightning/D4 (µATX, DDR4)
- ASRock Z790 PG Riptide (ATX, DDR5)
- ASRock Z790M PG Riptide (µATX, DDR5)
- ASRock Z790-C (ATX, DDR5)
- ASRock Z790-C/D4 (ATX, DDR4)
- ASRock H770 PG Lightning (ATX, DDR5)
- ASRock H770 PG Lightning/D4 (ATX, DDR4)
- ASRock H770 Steel Legend (ATX, DDR5)
Assuming the information is correct, DDR4 memory support will continue to increase in Intel’s current desktop platform. Since Raptor Lake will be just a refresh of Alder Lake and also retains the LGA1700 socket, this is not too surprising.
As you know, Raptor Lake will have larger caches, more of the small “efficiency cores” and “extended overclocking features”. However, there are no details about the new Intel 700 Series chipsets yet. In addition to the Z790 as a flagship and the H770, there will also at least be a B760, as appeared from a leaked list of motherboards from Biostar.
Media coordinator and junior editor at Research Snipers RS-NEWS, I studied mass communication and interested technology business, I have 3 years experience in the media industry.