Sun Valley 2: Microsoft Releases Windows 11 22H2 in Preview
Microsoft has now released the Fall 2022 Update, also known as Windows 11 22H2 (“Sun Valley 2”) to Insiders on the Release Preview Channel, and aims to help administrators and organizations take a closer look at Windows 11’s first major feature update. and evaluate accordingly.
The preview of Windows 11 22H2 is here
Like the company on its Windows Insider blog announced, the feature update codenamed “Sun Valley 2” is now available through the following channels.
- Windows Update
- Windows Update for Business
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
- Release Preview Channel in the Insider Program
- Microsoft Azure Marketplace
The preview, which is based on Windows 11 Build 22621 with RTM status, is almost identical to the final release of Windows 11 22H2 and will have only minor changes until the final rollout.
Windows 11 22H2 is now available in preview (Image: Microsoft) However, at this time the operating system has not yet reached General Availability (GA) status and is therefore not yet been distributed to the masses of users. The rollout is expected to start with a pre-release in August and will run until September. Windows 11 22H2
- Official name: Autumn 2022 update
- Codename during development: Sun Valley 2
- Main innovations:
- Pre-release: from August 2022*
- Release: from mid-September 2022****)
- Not yet officially confirmed! In addition to the expanded Start menu with customizable folders and a configurable recommendation area, the feature update will also revise the operating system settings and give the folders a new preview image. For the first time, File Explorer has tabs and a new home page, where OneDrive can also serve as “Home”. There are also some new themes.
Optimized taskbar for tablets and 2-in-1 systems
The new taskbar, or new taskbar status, as Microsoft calls the feature, should activate automatically when the operating system is running on a tablet or the keyboard is removed from a 2-in-1 device. However, according to Microsoft, this optimized taskbar cannot be activated or otherwise forced on a desktop PC or notebook.
The new dynamic feeds in Windows 11. The update to Windows 11 21H2 officially requires the following preconditions, which can (still) be avoided with various workarounds.
- Windows 10 2004 (“20H1”) or later
- active TPM 2.0 or fTPM 2.0
- Secure Boot Enabled in UEFI
- a compatible processor
However, Microsoft has already announced several times that the requirements should be checked more closely when moving to the next higher feature update.
- Windows 11 22H2: Microsoft account should also be mandatory for professional users
The workarounds could then come to an end with the update of autumn 2022 at the latest – but it is not yet completely finished.
Insiders are already on their way to Windows 23H2
Meanwhile, Windows 11 insiders in the Dev Channel are already on their way to the Fall 2023 update aka Windows 11 23H2 (“Sun Valley 3”), and Microsoft is also planning further innovations for the next major feature update in the coming year.
- Windows 11 23H2: New folders on the desktop group apps by theme
- Windows 11 23H2: Interactive content spreads across the desktop
Learn more about transitioning to the official preview of Windows 11 22H2 in a detailed article in the Microsoft Tech Community
I’m a communication enthusiast and junior editor-reporter at Research Snipers, I have completed a degree in Mass Communication but am very enthusiastic about new technology, games, and mobile devices. I have the main interest in Technology and games.