Microsoft is not releasing the device Surface Duo outside the U.S. initially. It was announced today to the US media that the device will initially focus on the USA and that there are currently no plans to announce an international launch.
Double displays with twice the margin
The most noticeable thing about the Surface Duo, which Microsoft does not expressly call a smartphone, although it is one, are the two 5.6-inch AMOLED displays with 1800×1350 pixels in 4: 3 format. Taken together, this results in a screen diagonal of 8.1 inches with 2700×1800 pixels in 3: 2 format, whereby it should be noted that the two displays are held together with a 360 ° hinge.
Under the hood is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Octacore SoC from last year – namely the older version, which was used with a slightly slower rate than the Plus model in the flagship smartphones of spring 2019. The former high-end SoC transmits via Gigabit-LTE, ac-WLAN and Bluetooth 5.0, but you have to do without NFC and 5G support in the Surface Duo.
Optional storage up to 256GB
The main memory is similarly cautious because at six gigabytes it is adequately but not excessively large. The internal flash memory of the Surface Duo is 128 or 256GB and connected via UFS 3.0, but cannot be expanded with a microSD card slot.
The Surface Duo’s camera is not great either. Other manufacturers like to install five or six cameras with up to 108 megapixels in their top smartphones, but Microsoft’s non-smartphone only has a single 11-megapixel sensor with an F/2.0 aperture, phase detection autofocus and an 84-degree width Field of view that has to do without an optical image stabilizer. 4K videos are possible with a maximum of 60 frames per second.
One large and one small battery
Another point of criticism in the initial reactions of the public is the battery capacity, the energy supply, and the lack of stereo speakers. Microsoft installs a large and a small battery in each of the two halves of the Surface Duo, with a total capacity of “only” 3577mAh, despite the overall relatively large area of the dual-screen hybrid tablet. The duo should be able to achieve a standby time of up to 10 hours and around 15.5 hours of video playback.
However, the battery is only charged with a maximum of 18 watts, and there is no wireless charging option. In addition, the Surface Duo disappoints with only one speaker, even if the undoubtedly relatively wide bezels above and below the two displays would offer enough space at least at first glance.
First-generation, expensive non-smartphone
With a total weight of 250 grams, the Surface Duo is relatively light for a “smartphone” with two displays. The new hybrid device from Microsoft is officially reserved for the USA, although no information has yet been given for an introduction in Europe. The device with the mentioned $1399 official price recommendation is far from cheap, even if the case is made of glass and magnesium.
Here Are The Full Specifications Of Surface Duo
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855
- RAM: 6 GB
- Storage: 128GB or 256GB
- Display: Two 5.6 inch AMOLED displays, cover made of Corning Gorilla Glass; Aspect ratio 4: 3 with a resolution of 1,800 by 1,350 pixels (401 ppi) each. When opened, the result is an 8.1-inch display with 2,700 by 1,800 pixels (aspect ratio 3: 2). 100% coverage of the sRGB and DCI-P3 color spectrum
- Operating system: Android 10 (Android 11 upgrade announced)
- WiFi-5 802.11ac (2.4 / 5GHz)
- Bluetooth 5.0
- Nano SIM + eSIM
- Camera: 11 megapixels, aperture 2.0, PDAF autofocus, 7x zoom, maximum video resolution 4K 60 FPS, electronic image stabilization, 84 ° field of view
- Connections: 1 x USB-C 3.1
- Fingerprint reader on the edge of the housing
- Two microphones with integrated noise and echo suppression
- FDD-LTE bands: 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,14,19 20,25,26,28,29,30,66
- TD-LTE bands: 38,39,40,41,46
- Battery: 3,577mAh
- Battery life: 15.5 hours of video playback, 10 days of standby, 27 hours of talk time
- Power supply: 18W, fast charging
- Dimensions open: 145.2mm x 186.9mm x 4.8mm
- Dimensions closed: 145.2mm x 93.3mm x 9.9mm
- Weight: 250 grams
Digital marketing enthusiast and industry professional in Digital technologies, Technology News, Mobile phones, software, gadgets with vast experience in the tech industry, I have a keen interest in technology, News breaking.